Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler[_2_] PanHandler[_2_] is offline

Default Floor "Leveler," or not

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
I pulled up the carpet in my bedroom to find that the previous
residents put the carpet down on top of plywood. I want to put some
vinyl down over the plywood, but need to fill in the cracks
between the plywood as well as fill in any small holes first.

I went to find some "floor leveler," describing to the person
in the floor department at Lowes what I was trying to do. She
showed me a big bag of powder, told me that I'd need six bags
for a 14' x 15' room, and that I had to mix it myself.

Whew!

If that's all there is I'll get it, but isn't there something
else? I don't really need a lot. Isn't there a sort of "hole
filler" that I could use? I remember buying some when I wanted
to put vinyl on a concrete floor that had small holes in it.
It worked a bit like spackle.

While it is a large area, the whole floor wouldn't have to be
covered with the stuff.

One word: Thinset. Trowel it out where needed, using a non-notched trowel,
using a trowel corner to work it into the wider seams.