Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default DFX to Gerber?

John R. Carroll wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...

What a mixed up strange world.

The local PCB shops won't touch a simple job for less than $2000 NRE +
board costs, but several shops in China can knock out a panel for $99 -
almost flat rate.

But (of course) they need a particular file format - which I don't have.

Not surprising, I guess. The last circuit board I had made was 20+
years ago - done with tape and stickies on film and photo reduced.

I've been all over the net tonight looking for a DFX to Gerber
translator - which are avialable - Free Download!, but cost big bucks
to license. (trial copies work - but leave out some items)

Is there anyone in the house translate a few dxf files to gerber?

Or?
Know of a PCB prototyping house that's affordable and can translate?

A single double-sided board - 5-12" x 6" - with silkscreen - less than
1000 holes.

It's not a commercial product - just something I wanted to play with.

I think I can do it with CATIA Richard.
You'd think the board maker would have this capability. Did you ask?

JC

THOSE shops, the ones that have layout capability seem to be the most
expensive. The local guy was really nice, but said he couldn't even
look at it for less than $1500 to $1800 NRE. I read that as his
'staying in business money' - or maybe 'don't waste my time' money?

So far, the three I've actually talked to just insist that it has to be
in Gerber. I don't think the actual people have a clue what that means.
It's just what the company wants - so that's what they say.

The china shop? Beats me. I haven't spoken them yet. (what a hoot!)

But at the bottom of the page they want Gerber 274 files and NC drill
file(?).

http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php

I'd get 4 boards from a panel. With the heavier copper plate option
they would come to $35 to 40 a piece. Which I can live with for 4
boards. (It's not like anybody else would be interested in an 8 Mhz
XT core at this late date)

Remove the mighty X from my return address.

Better yet, I'll CC this to the address(es) I have for you, John.
Sending to both UBU and non-ubu.
One of 'em outta get through!

If that works, I'll send you the files.

Would you prefer DFX or DWG for import?
I made version 13 of both. But they bulk some.

And, hey John, whether it works or not, thanks for offering.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)