Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Changing my principles

"Ignoramus13707" wrote

7. Do not have more than three projects going on at the same time

My wife is a fan of multitasking, and uses it as an indicator of the
female's superiority to males. My definition of multitasking is the ability
of doing more than one thing at one time, but none of them well.

I learned in business that having more than three things going on at one
time was counter productive. Finish them so you can bill them. It is also
so with private projects. Finish the damn thing. No sense applying 10%
effort here and 5 % there and so on endlessly.

I finished my project yesterday. A 13' 6" x 32' steel shade cover for my
back patio. Built out of Fabral purlins, 3 x 3 x .120" square tubing
posts, Fabral sheeting, and a few opaque plastic panels. A professional job
that cost about $1500 all together. I'm sure glad it is done. Now, I can
focus time and attention on some other things. It went on for a long time
for health reasons.

But I find it infinitely more satisfying to finish things than having ten
things going on at once and them all laying around in various stages of
incompletion, and rusting and generally going to hell.

Steve