Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default All those lawn doctors out there

On Oct 7, 8:14*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 7, 5:38*pm, Norminn wrote:

Don & Lucille wrote:
Is there such a thing as using too much lime on a lawn? What would happen if
the soil was too sweet if there is such a thing?

It can kill the grass. *Should have soil test prior to any such
application. *County extension service (or
state) often have soil test kits and loads of info about lawn care. *In
general, sandy soils tend to be
alkaline and soil with lots of leaf waste tend to be acid. *Some acid
loving plants, like rhododendron,
might also suffer.

Too alkaline can cause plants to not take up nutrients. *I have used
sulfur (ferrous sufate?) to
help acid-loving plants in our sandy yard.

Litmus paper should test for ph easily, for 10$ any hardware store
will have a complete test kit that will be accurate enough.

Local nurseries around here will test your soil for free while you
wait.