Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default All those lawn doctors out there

Don & Lucille wrote:

Is there such a thing as using too much lime on a lawn? What would happen if
the soil was too sweet if there is such a thing?

It can kill the grass. Should have soil test prior to any such
application. County extension service (or
state) often have soil test kits and loads of info about lawn care. In
general, sandy soils tend to be
alkaline and soil with lots of leaf waste tend to be acid. Some acid
loving plants, like rhododendron,
might also suffer.

Too alkaline can cause plants to not take up nutrients. I have used
sulfur (ferrous sufate?) to
help acid-loving plants in our sandy yard.