Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Frozen compressor

On 2008-10-06, Vernon wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:54*pm, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

[ ... ]

* It can't be a single cylinder and a two stage at the same time...

* Two stage normally implies a multiple of two (four, six, eight)
cylinders - and the second stage will be physically smaller. *Of
course, they could do something really odd like having three feed
two...

[ ... ]

Bruce, that was incredibly helpful. Thanks. Since "it can't be
single cylinder and two stage at the same time" then I stand corrected
about it being one or the other. The data plate mentions so many cfm
at 175psi. The cylinder does have a secondary "protrusion". Maybe
this is the second stage piston. I was confused because it is so much
smaller.

Yes -- that makes it two stage. That smaller cylinder allows
compressing air which has already been compressed once without having a
great deal of force on that connecting rod. As it is, I suspect that
the two cylinders need about the same force, so the crank is balanced.

I may be a bit late with this, because I was not able to get to
the newsreader last (Monday) night before I went to bed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564