Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DaveB DaveB is offline

Default Wire rope Q

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:10:18 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

Awl --

You know the loop at the end of wire rope, with a crimped-type band, often
around an "eye", maintaining the loop?

For the life of me, I cain't grok how that crimp holds, at such high load
ratings. It amazes me. It looks inherently weak, but apparently does the
job.
AND, if I have seen correctly, it seems that some of these crimps are
aluminum!

I would have thought some exotic-type brazing or welding would be required
for reliable strength.

Is this crimp method readily performed in a shop with a simple arbor press?

I may be requiring some of this to be done, but it just gives me the
willies, from a liability pov.

--
DT

Zinced endings: There are three types of zinced endings: A cone is
formed from molten zinc poured into a mold in which a frayed rope end
has been inserted; sometimes a ferrule is used as mold and stays on
after pouring the zinc; or sockets are used instead of the ferrule. An
open socket has ears to hold a pin and cotter. A closed socket has a
loop or "bail." Both are heavy forgings and find widespread use.

All three zinced on endings need a good deal of preparation. The
rope's end must be broomed out, cleaned with acid and straightened.
Special endings: such as thimbles, clips, and clamps are quicker and
easier to apply than a zinc socket, but efficiency is not as high as
with other attachments. These are filed attachments and inspection is
necessary during service to make sure the nuts on the clips remain
tight and provide proper holding power. Clips are U-shaped bolts with
a grooved base and nuts to tighten-these and other grooved devices fit
around a rope to form loops, or to provide endings similar to zinced
sockets. In some cases, special thimbles and bolted clamps are used
instead of clips.

Mechanical endings: A mechanical splice consists of a loop in the end
of a rope and a sleeve pressed on the rope at the base of the loop to
hold the end of the strands in place

Swaged endings: Swaging is the cold-flowing, under pressure, of metal
fittings into the rope body, between strand sand wires. This pressure,
applied by press or by rotary swagers, elongates the fitting but
forces its metal inward so that the bond becomes permanent and
compact, yet as strong as the breaking strength of the rope.

DaveB