Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RLM RLM is offline

Default Wire rope Q

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:12:47 -0700, Don Murray wrote:

DrollTroll wrote:
Awl --

You know the loop at the end of wire rope, with a crimped-type band,
often around an "eye", maintaining the loop?

For the life of me, I cain't grok how that crimp holds, at such high
load ratings. It amazes me. It looks inherently weak, but apparently
does the job.
AND, if I have seen correctly, it seems that some of these crimps are
aluminum!

I would have thought some exotic-type brazing or welding would be
required for reliable strength.

Is this crimp method readily performed in a shop with a simple arbor
press?

I may be requiring some of this to be done, but it just gives me the
willies, from a liability pov.

DT

Your eye splice, with just an aluminum Nicropress sleeve, is possibly a
Molly Hogan. Take a look at

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/show....php?p=1572836

After the eye is fully formed, the two ends can be put back in lay, and
the Nicropress sleeve put over that, and it would be hard to tell that
from just a bent eye.

Don

You have discovered the proper way to inter-lay the end together prior to
crimping anything on the wire rope, congratulations. I have done this many
times. I used a hydraulic hose crimping press and dies to crimp the
sleeve.

I have a number of chokers that I have made this way.

The end is separated in adjacent strands of three and strands of four
strands due to the wire rope having seven bundles of wire. Then tied in an
overhand knot with the ends and pulled until they interlock. Then the ends
are continued to be re-looped through the eye and interlock each time. If
done right the ends blend together at the main length of the wire rope and
the sleeve is pulled over the end and crimped so the sleeve covers as much
of the intertwined loop as possible and still covering the ends. The size
of the loop must be the length of the sleeve and the finished loop
combined to be strong. Then crimped.

Then there is a Liverpool splice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/squarer...7600183894973/

This was covered not long ago in a article in Woodenboat Magazine on
standing rigging. A true art in my opinion.