Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Modifying a Sodastream

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:32:20 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 3 Oct, 23:31, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

If the cylinder
falls over and hits the neck on a wall, the PRV will snap off, and you
now have a heavy unguided ballistic missile which is capable of punching
holes through walls as it rapidly discharges its contents.

Whilst hardly safe, diabatic generation of CO2 gas from a cylinder
full of liquid isn't in the same league as knocking the end of an
oxygen cylinder.

Have you seen that happen and what was it like from a mile away?

I once got a supply of a few bottles of compressed air from Air
Products (to use for a run of stage productions (bubbling washing
powder solution for a particular scene...)).
It gave the appropriate ambience (including smell!) to the play!

Just casually I cracked open the valve on one bottle at home VERY
slightly and the living room windows gave a severe ping at the rapidly
increased pressure in the room.

(I had to open an account with AP to get gas from them - that took a
few days, but after that getting almost any gas was a doddle.)

For those that are interested, for the play I gutted a front-loading
washing machine and attached a sort of cylinder of polythene from
around the door (minus seal) to a plastic bucket hidden in the machine
and containing a strong washing powder solution. At the base of the
bucket I fitted a Schrader-type valve connected to the aforementioned
air supply, the idea being that the washing machine would blow soapy
bubbles all over the place...

Amateur dramatics can be really great fun at times.

--
Frank Erskine