Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aircon

In article ,
writes:
In our school the I.C.T rooms relies on the split system for heating,
to keep the outdoor unit at the right temperature a separate unit
called a crankcase heater stops the outdoor unit icing up.

Crackcase heater is just to stop the refrigerent condensing
in the crackcase (compressor outer case) when the unit isn't
operating for some time and cools right down in cold weather,
and also keeps the crankcase oil thin. It's not used when the
unit is operating (cycling on and off in normal operation) as
the compressor gets more than hot enough to prevent this.

--
Andrew Gabriel