Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Fitting worktop upstand to an untrue wall

Lobster wrote:

I'm convinced that bending it slightly is the way forward, not for
bodging reasons but because having tried it out 'dry' - I can 'absorb'
most of the gap behind it without being able to notice the bend at
all. Any other method would I'm sure be very obvious. It's quite
shallow, so any attempt at profiling the rear face would look crap I
think. No tiles above; just a few inches of painted plaster below a
full-length mirror.

I hope you're not planning to bend the mirror to fit the non-flat wall?!

Failing that the Screwfix brackets look a distinct possibility - never
seen those before. The wall is a stud partition, so I could hack back
the plasterboard and mount a couple of those on studs out of sight.

You can get some concealed fixing which are smaller than that. I used them
to fix a headboard to the wall. I have one in my hand at the momemt. It is a
metal plate about 42x15x3 with rounded ends. There is a countersunk
screw-hole either end, and a large keyhole-shaped hole in the middle. You
recess the plates into the back of the item to be fixed, and put screws in
the wall with their heads protruding. You then offer the itm up to the wall
so that the large part of the keyhole goes over the screw, and then push it
firmly downwards. I'm sure there's a proper name for them, but I don't know
what it is!

Alternatively, since it's a stud partition, can you temporarily remove some
plasterboard on the other side, and screw into the *back* of the upstand?
[You'd need some wood or something on the back of the plasterboard to
reinforce it].
--
Cheers,
Roger