Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Ice maker not working...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Mon 06 Oct 2008 11:06:05p, told us...

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 02:38:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Ed, I totally agree. And, I have never failed to have some kind of
problem with side-by-side units with ice-thru-the-door and water
dispensers, whereas I have absolutely never had a problem with an ice
maker in a top freezer model which just has an ice bin. I've never
figured out the correlation of problems with the SBS, as opposed to none
with top freezer. Obviously, there is a lot more to the delivery
mechanism in the SBS, but the unit which produces the ice in both is
virtually identical, yet the problem was always with the ice maker
itself, not the delivery system.

--

I suspect it has to do with the hole in the door letting in heat and
moisture that build up ice in the mechanism and break it.

You could very well be right about that.

I have had a few rounds with Whirlpool icemakers recently and this guy
has the best site to figure out what is going on

In three previous homes we've had a Frigidaire, Amana, and Whirlpool side-
by-sides, and the only reason we chose SBS's was because of filling up the
much wider space allocated for the fridge. Each of those had ice-maker
problems.

Our present fridge is a Whirlpool top-freezer model, and while it is only
two years old, we have never once had any type of problem with the ice
maker.

My SBS GE Profile Arctica is 7 or 8 years old and has never had an ice
maker problem. I use the ice dispenser fairly frequently here in TX too.