Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MacD[_2_] MacD[_2_] is offline

Default Wire rope Q

For the life of me, I cain't grok how that crimp holds, at such high load
ratings. It amazes me. It looks inherently weak, but apparently does the
job.

AND, if I have seen correctly, it seems that some of these crimps are
aluminum!

The aluminum ferrules and stops are not rated for lifting overhead.

Is this crimp method readily performed in a shop with a simple arbor press?

It is done with a hand tool that swages the ferrule and snaps 'over-center' to
assure the correct crimping. A ferrule may require two or more swages to obtain
the rated strength.

--
MacD