Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13707 Ignoramus13707 is offline

Default Changing my principles

On 2008-10-07, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus13707 wrote:

I have been doing a big "shop reorganization", a project that already
took a few months and will take some more. My shop was not a total
mess, but too cluttered due to ebaying and not knowing where is what
(mostly minor things like where are certain screws etc, but enough to
get ****ed off). So here are my new principles of shop organization.

1. Keep only two things: tools (things to work with) and supplies
(things to be used up such as bolts and steel or parts).

2. Do not keep anything for sale and do not buy anything with the
purpose of resale.

3. Know where things are. Not knowing where is what means having to
buy the same stuff twice, which is the death spiral as it is harder
and harder to stop.

4. Keep everything accessible (and not in, say, closed cardboard
boxes).

5. Keep tools where they are used the most (basement or garage).

6. Keep all supplies in only place, labeled, reviewed periodically.

7. Do not have more than three projects going on at the same time

I keep a few very common fasteners (1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2") but generally
my rule is "let the store store". I live close to a quality industrial
supplier and I have a cash account there. If I need e.g. six stainless
SHCSs I just buy them as needed.

Over time I have learned the hard way to really minimize keeping metal
stock around. I don't keep anything shorter than two feet long anymore.
I toss drops and scraps into five gallon buckets which go into Ernie's
school's scrap bin whenever I go out there.

I got rid of most of my shop benches. They were always covered in crap
anyway, couldn't ever use them for what they were designed for. It
forces me to put things away.

If any of you are just starting, buy a bunch of steel drawer units, and
get a labelmaker. Start putting things into drawers and labeling them.
It's amazing how the clutter disappears.

That's exactly what I am doing, putting things into steel drawer units
and labeling. It is a great idea.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/