Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Retrofit LCD display light - any tips?

"N Cook" wrote in message
Kit often used in bad lighting and no built in illumination , gooseneck
illuminator would be awkward.
Complex 2 inch square one with only zebra spacing, so indirect side
illumination. Intend 2 bright white 5mm LEDs angled into the LCD glass or
would some thin translucent white perspex/luxite in the zebra space make
for
better illumination. Just thin white backing sheet there at the moment.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I'm not sure that you are going to have too much success with this. I have
tried before to light displays that were not intended for it, and have never
managed to get enough light in there to make it work. On transreflective
types, the reflective surface is, I seem to recall, bonded to the back face
of the glass panel, to maximise the light reflection back through the panel,
and minimise the losses. The light output from high intensity white LEDs is
also pretty narrow angled, so you might struggle to get even illumination
across the display surface, if you attempt to side inject it. How about a
couple of the surface mount LED 'bars' that you can get now, perhaps fixed
along the two long edges of the display, casting their light across its
surface. I'm sure that with a bit of imagination, they could be shrouded and
fixed on in a way that looked ok. Can't remember where I saw them now, but
I'm sure that one of the newsletters that I get from suppliers, or a mag
advert somewhere, showed some bars that were 'snap-off' to the length /
number of LEDs that you needed. Googling might turn up something along those
lines.

Arfa