Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed Reed is offline

Default Please recommend non-telco long distance service?

Rudy wrote:
All of the above also applies to MagicJack, but it's only $20 per *year*
rather than $20 per month. I've used MJ as my home phone for
four months now and am very pleased with it. If you've got high
speed internet, it's a great way to get a phone with unlimited long
and local dialing. Canada is included also. A big plus is you
can put the small USB device in your pocked and use it on
any computer with BB internet connection.

The prior poster advised that they connect the Vonage box to their ROUTER.
Did I understand the MJ info wrong, it thought you had to plug it into a USB
port on a computer. Since I use a laptop, I wouldn't want to leave it "on"
all the time so the phone would work ( It gets HOT). I can leave the router
on 'full time' w/o a problem though.

Vonage box plugs into router or switch or hub (just another device
on your local LAN)

MJ uses a USB port on a PC, with all the issues that go with that.