Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default slightly off topic - well shocking

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:58:27 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 18:04:41 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:14:55 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

With a submursible pump, could I just tap in to the line between the
pump and the check valve and install a "tap" that I can connect a
garden hose to, fill the bathtub with water, add chlorine to the tub,
shut off the pump, connect the hose to the tap and the tub, open the
tap and siphon the chlorine mix from the tub into the well? Or ose a
little "pony" pump to pump the water from the tub into the well?

Unfortunately, submersible pumps have a check valve which prevents
exactly what you're trying to to -- reverse the flow thru the pump.

Are you sure? There is a one way valve at the pressure tank. Does the
system need 2? There is no need to hold prime, as the pump is always
in water.
Not saying you are wrong - but DEFINITELY wanting to know FOR SURE.

I don't know if every submersible well pump has a check at the pump,
but it seems to me a deep well pump (more than 30 ft, or 1 atmosphere
of water column) should. I do know mine does, and if you look at the
documents on Goulds' site all their deep well submersibles also do.

http://www.goulds.com/pdf/GSSINGLE.pdf
http://www.goulds.com/pdf/R5-25GS05.pdf

But in light of the amount of work involved, I don't blame you for
wanting to be sure. You could open the line as you propose for the
tee, but first pressurize it with a small air reservoir and see how
quickly it leaks down. You'd need enough air pressure to overcome the
pressure of the water in the well. Which brings to mind the fact
you'll need to know what that pressure is in order to select a pump to
force the chlorine solution to the bottom of the well, if you do find
there's no check down there.

Our well pump is down 225', and water weeps out the top of the casing
most of the year, so the pressure at the pump is over 100 psi.

--
Ned Simmons