Witchy

Default another leaky shower question

Hi folks,

Here's a wet-floor type shower question, sealing of.

Because I could, and with some help from the folks here I built a wet
area type shower 'cos both of us were fed up with cramped shower
cubicles.

The area is about 5'x5' and consists of a 1200x1200 shower tray with
the surrounding area built up of flooring grade MDF (fastened to old
wall beams I had lying around which are screwed to the floor) with
Aquapanel screwed to that and floor tiles on top of that.

All fine and dandy, but there's still a tiny gap between the edge of
the shower tray and the surround. Originally I had this filled with
Unibond power shower sealant, but for some reason I haven't fathomed
yet (mentioned in another thread) once in use the shower tray managed
to drop 2 or 3 mm.

I say I haven't fathomed this yet because the tray is simply sitting
on the level-ish floorboards - I don't believe any of the 3 layers of
the surround could've expanded that much to cause the effect we got.

Basically the tray moved and the unibond sealant was so strong it
broke the grout between the tiles and the tray resulting in Much
Leakage!

Here's a pic of the floor before all this happened:

http://vorbis.demon.co.uk/shower-floor.JPG

Note white sealant all over the place.

The tiles themselves are the pebble mosaic effect types available from
bigger B&Qs and other places:

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...6&CATID=187233

and its the grout between these that appears to be breaking down -
cracks are visible between some of the panels and running along the
edge where grout meets glass brick walls.

So! I need to re-seal the tray and heal the cracks in the grout, but
the design of the tiles might inhibit this somewhat.

Anybody still with me or have you all moved to a shorter message? ))

All hints and tips appreciated - being able to shower in a space that
big is great, particularly the amount of water the shower itself can
chuck out, and we're all missing it!

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs