Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Source for remote control 13A plugs ...

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:49:26 UTC, Jethro wrote:

Just to explain why I wanted the plug in the first place .... I've
wanted to set up a "download" server for ages now, which I can whack a
bitorrent, or large FTP onto, and just leave it running. However there
is no way on Gods green earth I'm going to leave a Windows box open to
the internet 24/7, firewall or not.

Depends on the firewall. I have one Windows box like that; been on 24/7
for about 4 years.

It's "frozen" a couple of times, and required a restart (after which
it works fine), and having to get the loft ladder down etc etc etc -
especially if I'm not at home (I remote in from work, and the missis
can't climb a ladder). So I thought the remote was the best solution -
although it remains very much a "nuclear" option.

Fingers crossed, the machine stayed up 10 days before I fitted the
plug, so it's possible that the problems been fixed by one of the
updates I installed recently.

Or it's an overheating/underheating/PSU/other_hardware problem. I have
FreeBSD boxes that have stayed up for months at a time, only rebooted
because of power cuts or upgrades. But then Linux *is* just a jumped up
UNIX wannabe!

http://www.diybanter.com