Posted to alt.home.repair
Leroy[_4_] Leroy[_4_] is offline

Default Please recommend non-telco long distance service?

HeyBub wrote:
You get a gizmo from Vonage (VoIP) that plugs into your high-speed internet
router and you plug a telephone into that. For $19/month you get:

* Another telephone number, with a dial tone.
* All the bells and whistles (caller-id, voice-mail, forwarding,
call-waiting, etc.).
* All the long distance you can eat.
* No computer is required.

That's $19/month, period. No sales tax, universal access fee,
Spanish-American War tax, Al Gore tax, fuel surcharge, blah-blah-blah.
$19/month, period.

You can then use this new telephone line for (at least) all your outgoing
long-distance calls.

You even get to pick your area code! Suppose you live in California but all
your relatives live on Cape Cod. By choosing a 508 Area Code, when your
relatives call you, to them it's a local call.

All of the above also applies to MagicJack, but it's only $20 per *year*
rather than $20 per month. I've used MJ as my home phone for
four months now and am very pleased with it. If you've got high
speed internet, it's a great way to get a phone with unlimited long
and local dialing. Canada is included also. A big plus is you
can put the small USB device in your pocked and use it on
any computer with BB internet connection.

Go to DSLreports.com and read the MagicJack forum to get
a better background on it.