Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vernon[_2_] Vernon[_2_] is offline

Default How to set up VFD to properly control KBC bench mill.

On Oct 6, 1:10*pm, David Lesher wrote:
Tim Wescott writes:
Vernon wrote:
Disclaimer:
I'm an EE, I've driven motors every which way, but I've never bought a
VFD, so I know theory but not particulars.

Meetoo..

First:
If you disconnect the mill's on/off switch, put a big red shutoff button
connected to the VFD power out there. *Make sure you can reach it when
your tie gets caught in the spindle (you _do_ dress formally when you
use your mill, right?).

Second:

See First: It's the most important aspect.

Depending on the VFD, maybe it has a shutdown function, but don't depend
on it. I'd have a direct 3-phase pushbutton, the latching kind. [Push in,
it stays in until unlatched.] Use an aux contact for the VFD.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Dave,

"Depending on the VFD, maybe it has a shutdown function, but don't
depend
on it. I'd have a direct 3-phase pushbutton, the latching kind. [Push
in,
it stays in until unlatched.] Use an aux contact for the VFD."

I did not understand this. The VFD manual says to have a disconnect
device but not to use it except in an emergency. Obviously, getting
entwined in rotating machinery is an emergency and trumps trashing the
VFD.

I will try to get a picture of the controls on the mill and publish
this. Hopefully y'all will take a look.

Thanks! Vernon