Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default RPC - ganging smaller motors possible?

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 23:11:20 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

I'll be picking up my Bridgeport 2 HP 2J in a couple of weeks, so
it's time to start working on a rotary phase converter.

Others have given you good advice on rotary phase converters, but I'll
give you my take. Having run Bridgeports on rotary converters, static
converters and VFDs, a rotary would be my last choice. A VFD is much
more convenient, even with a 2J variable speed head, and a static
converter is more than adequate. RCM dogma says that you can't plug
reverse a BP with a static converter, but I did it for many years, as
does a friend of mine with 3 mills in a commercial shop.

--
Ned Simmons