Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Compressor motor on single phase....

DrollTroll wrote:
Awl --

With single phase, what are the pro's/cons with having a 3 ph compressor
motor with starting caps, vs swapping it out for a single phase motor?

The tradeoff I see is a wiring pita vs. the grunt/mechanical pita and $$ of
a single phase motor, with likely a modified mounting.

I would like to put the starting caps/running caps on relays, that switch
in/out, as well.

How big is it, and have you considered a VFD running your 3 phase motor
off of single phase power?

I'm running a 15hp 3 phase motor on my compressor. Admittedly, I need a
100 amp line to do it though.