Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice - DIY Desks

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just to add that's how some 'wood' flooring is made anyway.

I'm only talking from my experience. A house I was working in had
wardrobe doors made from 8' x 2' contiboard covered with T&G cladding
across the 2' width. Each strip had been glued down with no more nails.

It contracted so badly the contiboard had taken the shape of a longbow,
even to the point of pulling a hinge out on one door.

Contiboard? That's what I'd call melamine faced chipboard. And T&G
cladding is normally the cheapest ever whitewood. I can imagine the two
reacting very differently to the ambient room conditions.

All I can say is I've done what I said without problems.

T & G is DREADFUL

I put some up and painted it..come the winter there were 2mm white lines
where the T's had shrunk out of the G's. In summer they go back again.

1% movement across the grain, particularly in tangentially sawn
softwood, from summer to winter, is not uncommon.

Oak IS better. My enigeenered laminate floor made of softwood ply with a
5mm oak veneer, only moved about 5mm over 5 meters. So 0.1% total.

Chip and contiboard would be more or less impervious to moisture..so the
combination is very likely to bow.