Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default How to insulate on a cold storage room

On Oct 5, 7:22*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
Code does require foam be covered with drywall, but the product of
combustion are soot, water, carbon.

Um... First of all, I think you mean soot, water and CARBON DIOXIDE.
And, that's when burned in an incinerator under ideal conditions. In a
house fire, there are other products, not the least of which is carbon
MONoxide.

It is actually safer than many other
materials in the home.

That is probably true, but that's not saying very much.

It is an oil derivative and has about the same when
burned.

Precidesly. The foam required to insulate a 20X5 foot room would be
equivalent to burning several gallons of gasoline. Thanks, but I'll
pass on breathing that.

*Foam plastic for insulation does have additives (bromides) to
make the fire go out when the source of ignition is removed.

The problem with a house fire is that the source of ignition is never
removed unless everything in the room is fire retardant. It's not the
same as setting a block of foam on the table in the lab and trying to
light it with a match.