Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Why hasn't my copper pipe burst after feezing?

"jack" wrote in message
I have had burst pipes, so I know it happens.

Just as an experiment I took 8" of 1/2" copper and capped one end. I filled
it with cold water and stuck it in my freezer.
After 30 minutes it was somewhat frozen, and solid after an hour. But 4 hours
later it hasn't burst.

So, why do some pipes burst, but not this one? The ice expanded out the top,
so it definitely expanded. Perhaps it has to be physically prevented from
expanding with a right angle piece at the top?

(My cottage has exposed copper pipes and no heat, and I try to avoid draining
them until necessary. When the temperature gets down there I get antsy. I am
experimenting to get a better idea of just what the danger really is.)

I freeze soda bottles without rupturing them just be leaving an air space at the
top. Without air in the pipe (both ends sealed) it will probably rupture or
stretch.