Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Renovations question

"PB2" wrote in message
Hi,

Thank you all for your useful responses. A few comments:

1) Yes, I would love to buy a house where the work is already done. If
I could have spent some more money to get a house where everything is
new, I would have gone ahead and done that. We weren't able to find a
house that met that criteria (or the ones that we did find were too
expensive). To be fair, this house is completely liveable as-is, just
dated (c. 1983 when the house was constructed)

2) I appreciate the gravity of time and cost required to undertake
these projects. My hope was that we could get these projects completed
for $80K-$100K and that the work would be done by the end of January
(leaving ~3 months for the work). Please go ahead and correct me if
these numbers seem completely off.

*Impossible to nail down without estimates from contractors and prices on
your appliances and choice of materials, but I would say you are in the ball
park. Figure that the faster you want it done, the more it will cost
because you won't be spending time shopping around for the best price.

3) Here's what we specifically plan to do:
- Kitchen: New cabinets, appliances, counter-top, and floors. Not
structurally changing things, except that we're moving some electric
appliances around (refrigerator moves to where the dual-oven is,
countertop stove replaced with a range/oven/microwave and placed where
the refrigerator is). We're thinking mid-range quality.
- Bathrooms: 2 bathrooms, each 8x8 - completely replacing everything
and ret-iling, but not changing where things are
- Walls: Lots of wallpaper around the house (which we don't like), so
removal and repainting.
- Hardwood floors: Sand and refinish (we'll do at the end, as
recommended)

*I hope that you have the time to stay on top of this project. Don't figure
on letting a GC just handle everything. You need to be a part of the
process.

4) We stopped by Home Depot today and according to them, they have
general contractors that are a) reliable and b) affordable. Any
thoughts on that?

*I've gotten several new customers thanks to their contractors. I went in
and corrected the things that should have been addressed during the
remodeling process such as correct placement of recessed lighting,
connecting a new bath fan to the existing duct, running new circuits for the
kitchen. In addition to paying the contractors, you will also be paying for
Home Depot to do nothing except provide a referral. One thing I don't agree
with, but maybe it has changed. From what I have heard, Home Depot requires
almost, if not the entire full payment up front before work begins. I could
be wrong about this.

5) Size vs # of bedrooms: Yes, it's strange. The bedrooms are large,
as are the family and living rooms.

*That's nice. I like big rooms.

6) I hear the comments about slowly doing the work. We have a 15
months daughter who has severe food allergies. Not having a kitchen
for a few months would not be tolerable, hence the desire to complete
the work before moving in. We could probably wait on the bathrooms,
but the thinking is that some of the bathroom work could go on in
parallel.

*As I mentioned before this is doable, but you need to get on the ball NOW.
Start making lists for plumbing, electrical, painting, tile, etc. A kitchen
detail is extremely important and can be done by the place that you buy your
cabinets from. Also be prepared for problems that may surface once the
project has started. I do a lot of repair work in 1980's houses and condos.
I am very grateful to one builder in particular as their contruction methods
have been very good for my business as well as many plumbers.