Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default How to insulate on a cold storage room

On Oct 5, 5:15*pm, car crash wrote:
I have a cold storage room underneath my front porch. *It is poured
out of concrete. *It is around 20 long wide by 5 feet Wide. *We don't
use it at all for cold storage, but want to use it for regular storage
year round. *Obviously it is very cold in there during the winter.
How do I Insulate a cold storage room to make it useful at room
temperature ? *Should I frame the whole thing and then use R-12
insulation or something else ? *Should I just spray foam everything ?
Should I use Styrofoam ?

Any ideas would help.

Thanks.

I would use conventional home insulation. In most areas that would
be fiberglass. I would not use Styrofoam unless I was going to put it
behind a fire resistant wall. That stuff is a real killer when it
burns.

In my experience most all regular storage does not mind getting
cold, unless it has water in it. Maybe you can leave it as it is and
just make sure you don't store something in there that freezing might
damage.