Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Frozen compressor

Removing the heads should be quite straight forward. There should
not be any loose parts inside, just a reed plate. Make some kind
of mark so you can put it back on the same way it came off. There
should be about 6 bolts holding it on, bump the head with safe
hammer or wood block to pull the reed plate. Unlike internal
combustion engines, there is no timing or sequence to the
compressor head.

No one can tell you what is wrong with the compressor yet. Either
the rings are rusted in the cylinders or the rod caps are galled
to the crank. If it is light rust, you may not need to do
anything else.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Vernon" wrote in message
On Oct 5, 7:34 am, "DanG" wrote:
Separate the motor and the compressor. Find out if one or both
have pistons stuck in the cylinders.

Remove spark plug(s) on the motor and the head of the compressor
if they are both stuck, generously apply Kroil or similar
release
agent. Allow to sit, then attempt turning the flywheel again.
Look into getting a long cheater pipe to use on the flywheel(s)
without bending or hurting it.

Another common method of getting the rings loose is Coca-cola.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Vernon" wrote in message

I attempted to post this earlier but it has not appeared. Hope
it
doesn't pop up twice.

I recently bought a military surplus 2 stage Curtis-Toledo
compressor
driven by about a 12HP B&S engine.

I cannot get the compressor to turn over by turning the
flywheel. The
oil in the compressor and the engine is brand new. I don't
know
why
the military auctioned off the compressor.

I'm wondering if it got water in it or something. How can I
get
some
light weight oil into the cylinder? If it's toast is a rebuild
major big $$$ undertaking?

Thanks,

Vernon- Hide quoted text -

Dan and everybody,

Indeed I have already separated the engine from the compressor. I
removed the protective cage from the belt drive and removed the
belts. Prior to doing that I thought that the Briggs & Stratton
engine was icky although it did turn. After removing the two V
belts
it became clear to me that the motor is entirely free. The belts
were
simply slipping on the large compressor fly wheel.

Is there a way to get oil in there without removing the head? My
problem is that I don't know anything about the innards of
compressors. This appears to be a single cylinder 2 stage
compressor
good for 175psi at 15 cfm (if my memory serves which often
doesn't).

If I get the thing to turn freely does this imply that it's "good
go"? Or is machine work called for?

Thanks!