Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice - DIY Desks

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Look round the sheds etc for some end of range engineered solid oak
flooring. Clamp and glue that together and to a MDF etc base. Edge
with the same stuff planed to fit. You should be able to get it for
about 15 quid a sq mtr. It probably wouldn't stand getting soaked in
water - but will be fine for your job.

Not a good idea. The natural wood will expand/contract at a
different rate to the MDF and cause the surface to bow badly.

Just to add that's how some 'wood' flooring is made anyway.

I'm only talking from my experience. A house I was working in had wardrobe
doors made from 8' x 2' contiboard covered with T&G cladding across the 2'
width. Each strip had been glued down with no more nails.

It contracted so badly the contiboard had taken the shape of a longbow, even
to the point of pulling a hinge out on one door.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk