Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M Bob M is offline

Default Follow up to Adjust Pre-hung exterior door question

Many thanks to those who responded because all your suggestions were
applicable. But what I ultimately did was purchase one of the suggested
extended strike plates.

The yumitz contractor installed the pre-hung exterior door with the jamb
extensions to the inside. All the other exterior doors in the house had
the extensions to the outside. Also, the installer used a normal strike
plate but chiseled out the jamb where the plate lip curved in. Of course
he make the area larger than the lip so when the door was being closed the
latch sank into this area stopping the door from closing further.

I ended up taking the extended strike plate, and as it was larger, marked
and chiseled out an area just appropriate.

The result? The door now closes properly. Fortunately this was the only
thing that this particular contractor(?) installed. The house is being
reinspected again tomorrow for a closing scheduled for next week (hope,
hope, hope).

Thanks again for the good advise.

Bob