Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I add a second electric stove for the basement kitchen?

wrote in message
I have 100Amp service to my home. I have an electric stove in the
main kitchen whose sticker lists two power ratings: 8.3kW and
10.9kW.

Probably rated for 208/240 volts. Common use as 208 is often used when the
power is obtained from 3 phase power in commercial settings.

Second question: I'm trying to figure out if I can add a second
electric stove for the proposed basement kitchen we're considering.
If I've 100Amps service to my house, which voltage (120v x 100Amp =
12kW... or 240v x 100Amp = 24kW) do I use to calculate max power I
have available? Of couse, I'm going to have to consider the electric
load of all other equipment too, but the stove alone is a biggie.

Thanks.
Theodore

Use 100 A. That 8.3 kW at 240 volts is 36 Amps so both stoves going full
blast will use 72A. Add in a dryer or a few AC units and you are beyond safe
limits. If it is an either/or situation you will never reach the limits.
The rating is for all burners and the oven going at the same time, a rarity
in most places, but yet has to be considered.

Assuming you don't have natural gas, install a propane setup for one or both
kitchens. I'd much rather cook on gas. I ditched the electric range in my
house 20+ years ago and switched to propane. Recently bought a new
Bertazonni range and love it.