Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Hydraulic motors

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 20:58:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

Hi All,
I see hydraulic motors are rated in "inch ounces". I have no idea
what that means in the real world. Can someone give me an idea of how
powerful a 600 in.oz. motor is in terms I can relate to? By this I
mean could this amount of force be sufficient to power a mini bike?
Is it equal to the power of a 2 horsepower gasoline engine? I am not
after a physics lesson, rather a grass roots idea of what it is
capable of doing. I have a feel for foot pounds because I use torque
wrenches in automobile work. Is there a conversion that would give me
a feel for things? Thanks!

600 divided by 12 is 50 , divided by 16 is around 3.3 ft/lbs . A lot depends
on how many rpm's , and can it be geared down to a usable rpm/torque number

3.3 ft-lbf (600 in-ozf) at 1800 RPM would be 843 watts or 1.13 HP.
This torque would produce 2 HP at 3183 RPM.