Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default I'm stumped with a pump

Good idea, Shawn.

I have done that with vanes in a vacuum pump and it worked just fine. It
didn't occur to me to do it with this pump. Will give it a try.

Thanks

j/b

"Shawn" shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
. ..

"justme" wrote in message
I have a small cast iron, gear pump that was working.

The gear is about an inch in diameter, .375 thick and the other gear
(idler type) is a bit smaller.

No blockages, no clogs, all looks good. However,
there are three set screws/plugs around the periphery of the pump
equidistant at 120 degrees.

This thing no longer pumps but tries to do so.

There are no leaks. I did fiddle with the plugs as it was not doing
well.

Help, anyone?

Thanks

j/b

I've fixed a worn out pump like this before by taking the center section
of the pump, the one that the gears ride in, and sanding it a little
thinner. I use 220 grit sandpaper on a FLAT surface rough side up. Sand a
few swipes across the paper, re-assemble and they usually pump again.

Shawn