Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Hydraulic motors

wrote: (clip) I have a feel for foot pounds because I
use torque
wrenches in automobile work. Is there a conversion that would give me
a feel for things? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are 16 oz. to the pound, and 12" to the foot, so 1 foot lb would equal
16 x 12 = 192 in oz. So a 600 in oz motor would deliver just over 3 ft lb
of torque. But that tells you nothing about the horsepower. To calculate
that, you would have to know the RPM. To develop 2 HP, the RPM would have
to be 3368. I don't think you can run a hydraulic motor that fast.

Are you really thinking about powering a minibike? Where are you planning
to get the power to drive the hydraulic pump that delivers pressure to the
hydraulic motor?

In order to understand this, you need to sort out the difference between
torque, force and power. But that would require a physics lesson.