Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default I'm stumped with a pump

Stan,

This only has two ports, one in, one out.

Thanks

j/b

wrote in message
On Oct 3, 12:08 am, "justme" wrote:
I have a small cast iron, gear pump that was working.

The gear is about an inch in diameter, .375 thick and the other gear
(idler
type) is a bit smaller.

No blockages, no clogs, all looks good. However,
there are three set screws/plugs around the periphery of the pump
equidistant at 120 degrees.

This thing no longer pumps but tries to do so.

There are no leaks. I did fiddle with the plugs as it was not doing well.

Help, anyone?

Thanks

j/b

I've played with stuff like that, describes a fuel pump I messed with
to a T. Had three spigots, an inlet and two outlets. The stinker was
that it had a hidden over-pressure/check valve. Was hollow steel with
a rubber tip. The rubber tip was the sealing part, when it got hard,
crumbled and vanished, all semblance of pumping ceased, the outlet was
now directly connected to the tank and the inlet. Unfortunately, the
whole valve unit was crimped together, had to get a refurb, no
separate parts available. Hope you have better(and cheaper) luck.

Stan