Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice - DIY Desks

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Dodd wrote:
Any comments? (would be gratefully received - it's a lot of expensive
wood that I'm about to start molesting, and this is my first
experiment beyond pine/soft-wood)

Look round the sheds etc for some end of range engineered solid oak
flooring. Clamp and glue that together and to a MDF etc base. Edge
with the same stuff planed to fit. You should be able to get it for
about 15 quid a sq mtr. It probably wouldn't stand getting soaked in
water - but will be fine for your job.

Not a good idea. The natural wood will expand/contract at a different rate
to the MDF and cause the surface to bow badly.

BTDTGTTS. Not something I've ever done, but saw a whole bedroom full of
home made wardrobe doors made like that. They had all bowed badly & beyond
redemption.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk