Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Rockwell saw

SteveB wrote:
What's a used Rockwell table saw with base, fence, and blade guard worth?
About ten inch blade.

Steve

Can't see it from here. An old Real Rockwell, or the current current
Rockwell-branded crap I see at the Borg? Condition, hours, how flat is
the table (and how big is it), any visible rust, any metal-on-metal
screeching when it is powered up, etc? Cast iron, stamped, or plastic
table? Cheap pot-metal fittings, or machined castings? Kinda like a used
car- you have to spend some hands-on time with it, and let it talk to you.

Lacking any details or knowledge of the local used market in your town,
I'd say go to the Borg or Sears, find a saw with similar specs, and
offer half of what the new price is. A large pawn shop is also a place
to go, to see the high side of local used prices, as well as Craig's
List. Table saws with 10" blades run the gamut from $200 18" table toys
that are fine for building birdhouses and bookshelves, through
'contractor grade', to shop models that weigh a ton and last for forty
years, and cost thousands of dollars. (Only got to use one of those
once, in a millwork plant on a Saturday. 48" square table, huge motor,
etc. It made going back and using a jobsite saw very depressing.)

--
aem sends...