Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Audio Cassette "Drag" Problem

N_Cook wrote:
Brad wrote in message
Hi,

I have been recording audio cassettes (family gatherings & my

kids)
into
MP3 files.

Unfortunately one of these cassettes is Ampex (problem brand)

with a
history of "drag". I removed the tape and put it in a new

cassette case,
but it wasn't a complete "fix". Note: The cassette player(s) I

have been
using holds the cassette in a up/vertical (common in modern

cassette
players) position.

I suspect the tape composition used by Ampex is at fault.

I would like to get a reply from someone who actually had

this
problem,
if you "fixed" the problem, what technique did you use?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your

PC.

Wind each tape FF to the end and then REW to beginning perhaps .

But
real/reel problem would likely be slip-clutch/ belt problems

See this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_baking

We do this routinely to old 2" quadruplex video tape at work. The tape
does indeed get "sticky", some to the point we couldn't roll the
transport more than 1 foot (and on a 5000 foot reel this is bad)
before the tape simply stopped. We use a commercial food dehydrator 12
hours at 135F. We've done hundreds of 2" reels, some 3/4" cassettes,
1/4" and 1/2" open reel audio tapes. NONE have been ruined so far in
the past 3 years of this and ALL have played properly.

An electric oven with a circulating fan could work but be VERY certain
you keep the temperature down. I don't think a gas oven would be
suitable as water vapor is a combustion by-product and might defeat
the whole purpose.