Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio Cassette "Drag" Problem

On Oct 3, 8:07*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Brad wrote in message

Hi,

* * I have been recording audio cassettes (family gatherings & my kids)

into
MP3 files.

* * Unfortunately one of these cassettes is Ampex (problem brand) with a
history of "drag". * I removed the tape and put it in a new cassette case,
but it wasn't a complete "fix". *Note: The cassette player(s) I have been
using holds the cassette in a up/vertical (common in modern cassette
players) position.

* * *I suspect the tape composition used by Ampex is at fault.

* * *I would like to get a reply from someone who actually had this

problem,
if you "fixed" the problem, *what technique did you use?

* * * * * * * Thanks in advance, *Brad

* Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
*be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Wind each tape FF to the end and then REW to beginning perhaps . But
real/reel problem would likely be slip-clutch/ belt problems

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/- Hide quoted text -

What about spraying some teflon spray on the inside of the case before
putting the reels including the tape into the case? This might let
the reels turn a little easier. Otherwise, I'd try a second or third
tape player.

Bob Hofmann