Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Bridgeport dimension

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

What's the height from the floor to the top of the ram on a Bridgeport
J / 2J vertical mill?

Reason I'm asking is to try and determine if a Harbor Freight shop
crane (2 ton) has enough height / reach to slide under the end of a
trailer and lift it up off of the trailer. The other alternative is
to slide it down a ramp of some sort with a comealong winching it
down. I'm not thrilled about sliding a top heavy item with a narrow
base down a ramp.

RWL

I put up a couple pages from a manual here.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/Brid...portHeight.jpg
http://www.garage-machinist.com/Brid...eportWidth.jpg

Some dimensions are on it and you can scale the rest.

I'd consider removing the head from the machine and stowing it in your truck.
Then take off the ram, turret, and adaptor off, a good 350#+ off and lashing that down,
then put the headless base on your trailer.

http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...C02983_vga.jpg

It is pretty stable then.

HTH,

Wes