Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Metal fence posts: Critique

SteveBell wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

I agree. Wind direction, streaming neutrinos from the Solar Wind,
Voodoo, or a malevolent foreign deity may be behind the difference.
Still, some thirty of my neighbors' fences built with wooden posts
are all in a pile while a similar number using metal are still
standing.

My first thought when I saw your post was that one side of the
right-of-way was upwind and the other was downwind. The upwind side
would be in the wind shadow of houses and trees. On the downwind side
the wind would be able to get a little meaner as it passed under the
power line towers.

Also a good point. However, being in Houston, the wind went one way, then,
when the eye passed, the wind with the other. It averaged out.

In the aftermath, I saw a LOT of wood things down (mostly trees), but very
few metal things (like light poles, fireplugs, or street signs) blown down.
Empirical evidence supports the theory that wood sucks.