Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] alsdomain@gmail.com is offline

Default Are tv LCD panels interchangeable?

On Oct 1, 11:14*pm, "Mike S" nospam wrote:
wrote in message

Hi all,

Does anyone know ifLCDpanels fortv'sareinterchangeable? *I have a
26" Olevia that powers on, but the screen has been busted. *I have my
eye on a Panasonic 26" but would like to know if I'm fighting a losing
battle.

Thanks!

In general - yes. *Many manufacturers sell panels to other manufacturers,
and some brands may really be another brand that has been re-badged.
chances are yourTVmay have a panel that was manufactured by a different
company.
The problem is that you would need the exact same panel and I don't know of
any printed or on-line cross reference that will tell you the exact panel
model numbers that are used in different tvs by different manufacturers.
The same is true for plasma panels.
Your only chance would be to open theTVwith the broken panel, get an exact
part number of the panel, then find aTVwith an identical panel - which is
nearly impossible.
Usually aTVwith a brokenLCDor plasma panel is only good as a spare-parts
donor for an identicalTVwhich has a problem that is not directly related
to the panel.
Good Luck.

I don't know if my last message got through or not... anyway,
basically I want to make sure we're on the same page. I took the tv
apart and the only portion I see with a model # is the 2-3" thick bit
with the flat lcd panel attached (http://img397.imageshack.us/
img397/2707/frontvy3.jpg).

I took the flat panel off and it's pretty dinged up as you can see
(http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5411/backby8.jpg).

But I'm curious to know if the very flat panel is proprietary or if
there is some standard. Here's what I'm looking at (http://
img397.imageshack.us/img397/2707/frontvy3.jpg).

I captured this from a video of a 46" tv (http://img394.imageshack.us/
img394/2194/insidelcdvideooo6.jpg). To me it's very similar (except
for size of course). But I'm just trying to make sure the explanation
above wasn't just simplified and that by breaking down the tv to the
lcd panel, there is no standard and easily interchangeable part.

Thanks!