Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace question

"Bubba" wrote in message
I don't advocate extended warranty or service plans. They are a source of
profit for the seller, not something they do to help you in the long run.
Some people find it easier to pay $125 a year for ten years rather than
$300
one time for a repair.

I'll disagree with you 100%. Service plans are very effective in
preventing breakdowns. Like anything, it depends on the servicing
company. If they are sending out 1st year techs on your new high
efficiency, you might not be getting your moneys worth.
Service agreements are NOT money makers. Believe me, Id much rather
take $300, $400 or $500 from you on a repair than $125 a year to do a
"tune-up". Its about committment to my customers. I pride myself in
the fact that my customers are not inconveinced with a breakdown on a
cold holiday weekend because I have properly and thoroughly serviced
their system. This gives me "weight" when they make their new
equipment purchase over another company. Just read the manual that
came with the furnace. All newer furnaces require annual maintenance.
Bubba

No, you don't disagree. I'm talking about extended warranty. I never said
don't do any service. You still should have that annual checkup and pay for
it. It is the portion that covers parts that rarely break that is the money
taker.