Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Shape an electric motor shaft/gear to drive a 5/16" rod?

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

Just about anything less would very likely result in a unsafe
and/or unreliable connection.

Safety might be an issue in some other application, Bill, but not in
this one.

In your proposed modification, the gear on the end of the motor
shaft is very likely to be round, and concentric to the shaft's
centerline/axis. Grinding away the hardened gear teeth will likely
result in a weak, out-of-round, eccentric stub that may be brittle
from the hardening process.

When I cut something that's spinning very fast, Bill, it usually
ends up very well rounded.

Making a rigid connection of any part to a shaft that's not
concentric to the shaft centerline will very likely break or shake
loose in a short time.

Yes, Bill, depending on RPM.

You haven't described a method of constraining the tubing or shaft
extension,

I have already done that in a later post long before your replied
here, Bill. I suspect you've noticed by now and are working on
another troll.

and the separation of spinning parts can be very dangerous for
anyone nearby.

That's not going to be a problem here, Bill.

You might be better off saving the drill motor for another
project,

Too late, Bill, I just bought another 36 V cordless drill for this
specific purpose.

and finding a more suitable motor/power source for your current
project.

Much easier said than done, Bill. The methods I've employed have
done reasonably well so far, and the current plan for attaching the
motor shaft to the rod looks better than before.

Time will tell, Bill.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/