Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Need bearing recommendation for my project.

Ned Simmons wrote:

wrote:

Apparently what I need is something like an ordinary 608 ball
bearing, but able to handle at least 10,000 rpm with maybe 40
pounds of downward/radial pressure on the bearing. Any bearing
less than two inches in diameter is okay.

From SKF's catalog: a grease lubricated 608 is rated 36,000 RPM,
43,000 RPM with oil. Static load rating is 308 lbs. Those numbers
are under ideal conditions, but unless there's something unusual
about your load or environment, I think you'd get reasonable life
at 10KRPM and 40# load.

That possibility just occurred to me. I've been studying McMaster
information and I was going to ask again, thinking that maybe I was
wrong. Thanks. Earlier today, I started looking at low rpm bearings,
not realizing that the selection of ball bearings is actually larger
in the higher RPM categories.