Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default crawlspace insulation

Richard Evans, 10/2/2008,7:07:09 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote:

Richard Evans, 10/2/2008,5:20:35 PM, wrote:

wrote:

FWIW, I had a similar problem several years ago: damp, moldy

crawl space. I had all the insulation pulled out, sprayed
themoldwith clorox, closed the air vents to seal out humidity,
and never replaced the insulation.

I'm in North Carolina, where the winters are admittedly mild,

but my HVAC unit is in the crawl space and keeps it relatively
warm. Any heat lost due to lack of insulation is lost upwards
to the living area, so no big deal. I put a couple of
dehumidifiers down there at the time of the problem, but once
the space dried up, it stayed dried up.

I would be weary of bleach... it seems to always have mold come

back when I use it.

Well, it's been 5-6 years and no recurrence. I haven't even turned

on the dehumidifiers in several years. Once the source of the
water was fixed and the vents were closed to prevent humid air
from entering, there's been no mold problem.

I live in a flood zone and am required to have permanently open
vents. In fact, the total square inches of vent openings must be
equal or greater than the square footage of crawl space or you pay
more, like I do.

Pay more to who?

Federal Flood Insurance
http://www.fema.gov/business/nfip/