Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Evans Richard Evans is offline

Default crawlspace insulation

"badgolferman" wrote:

Richard Evans, 10/2/2008,5:20:35 PM, wrote:

wrote:

FWIW, I had a similar problem several years ago: damp, moldy crawl
space. I had all the insulation pulled out, sprayed themoldwith
clorox, closed the air vents to seal out humidity, and never

replaced the insulation.

I'm in North Carolina, where the winters are admittedly mild, but

my HVAC unit is in the crawl space and keeps it relatively warm.
Any heat lost due to lack of insulation is lost upwards to the
living area, so no big deal. I put a couple of dehumidifiers down
there at the time of the problem, but once the space dried up, it
stayed dried up.

I would be weary of bleach... it seems to always have mold come back
when I use it.

Well, it's been 5-6 years and no recurrence. I haven't even turned on
the dehumidifiers in several years. Once the source of the water was
fixed and the vents were closed to prevent humid air from entering,
there's been no mold problem.

I live in a flood zone and am required to have permanently open vents.
In fact, the total square inches of vent openings must be equal or
greater than the square footage of crawl space or you pay more, like I
do.

Pay more to who?