Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default The Impotance Of Being Earnest

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Oct 2, 4:40 pm, "MikeWhy" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Oct 2, 11:40 am, "MikeWhy" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

news

"DGDevin" wrote:

Offhand do you know where one might download a chart of these
characters
with the code numbers?

I've got an old BASIC text that had a chart.

Any book/chart that gives the ASCII chart from 1 thru 255 in the old
IBM
format will have it.

You can also open up a note pad file on your desktop and type out the
list.

220, Alt 220, ?

Windows charmap app. Find it in the Start menu, all programs,
accessories.
Or run charmap.exe from the cmd prompt or 'Run...' menu. It has the
numeric
code, and can also copy the character to the clipboard. Unfortunately,
the
number codes are given in hexadecimal.

Don't you get a whole keyboard full of special characters by either
holding down the option or the option-shift key(s)?

----
You would have to know which ones are mapped where on the keyboard. It
changes with the language settings, and I'm sure if it's useful, you
should
find keyboard maps on the Net somewhere.

The specific character number trick is to hold the ALT key while typing in
the numeric code on the keypad, preceded by 0. For example, for the degree
sign (°) hold the ALT key, 0176 on the keypad, and release the ALT key. It
might or might not show correctly, depending on your newsreader.

That's not a trick.. that is cumbersome. The letter O becomes the
letter Ø when I hold down the option key. u ü, that kinda thing...
easy.

------
Ah. I get it; a Mac. Sure. I'm working at this far harder than I should have
to. I can't find the smiley face on my keyboard, so here goes: (_*_) How did
that come out?