Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jaygoodenguy@gmail.com is offline

Default crawlspace insulation

On Sep 26, 12:50*pm, Richard Evans wrote:
"badgolferman" wrote:
Bought a 1967 brick rancher two months ago. *The termite inspector
yesterday told me yesterday I had a water pipe leaking rather badly.
The plumber came and fixed it but also told me there is no insulation
under the house in the crawlspace. *He says there are staples there but
the insulation is gone. *For some reason the home inspector never
mentioned lack of insulation. *Since all my previous homes have been on
slab I never thought to ask.

Obviously the old insulation was ripped out for some reason (flood,
maintenance?) and never replaced. *I've called a few people to give me
estimates. *Any ideas on what to expect? *The house is around 1700 sq
ft.

FWIW, I had a similar problem several years ago: damp, moldy crawl
space. I had all the insulation pulled out, sprayed themoldwith
clorox, closed the air vents to seal out humidity, and never replaced
the insulation.

I'm in North Carolina, where the winters are admittedly mild, but my
HVAC unit is in the crawl space and keeps it relatively warm. Any heat
lost due to lack of insulation is lost upwards to the living area, so
no big deal. I put a couple of dehumidifiers down there at the time of
the problem, but once the space dried up, it stayed dried up.

I would be weary of bleach... it seems to always have mold come back
when I use it.